Opening and Ending a Monologue.
Opening your Monologue;
- Walk in slowly with a sense of purpose. Do not rush nervously.
- Find the centre of the stage or performance area and remain silent for a moment.
- Speak to the artistic staff as yourself. say 'Hello' and introduce yourself. have a brief prepared joke or other statement. Remember the artistic staff are not just casting a camera. They also need an actor they can work with.
- Introduce you character and communicate the problem confronting your character.
- Concentrate. Take a moment or two to get in to character. Briefly cose your eyes/bow your head/ turn your back to focus before starting your monologue,
Ending your monologue
- Take a three second freeze after ending your monologue.
- Do not expect much of a reaction from artistic staff. Part of their job is not to tio their hand one way or another as to how they feel about your performance untill they have conferred.
- Never show any sign of dissatisfaction if you are not happy with your performance. Be this using facial gestures or verbal apology.
- Stay positive and remain calm.
- Stay enthusiastic and thank the artistic staff.
- Exit the same way you entered unless told otherwise and walk slowly and proudly.
Taking a bow
- Remember your bow is still part of your performance. As long as you are on stage remain professional, bow and continue with the above steps.
some more tips:
- Dont wear white or black.
- Dont wear to much make up. or dark make up like dark red lipstick.
- Dont wear short skirts.. it doesnt make the director like you more.
- Go with a nice hair cut.. never have your hair covering your eyes.
- The director needs to see your whole face.
- Dont wear flipflops to an audition.
- Wear something casual - normal